[FieldTrip] ft_headmodelplot coordinate system origin problem

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jan 3 11:50:27 CET 2012

Hi Ion,

What is the coordinate system in which the vol and mri are defined? To me it does not look like the neuromag coordinate system, but rather like MNI-space. I would expect the origin to be a bit (~4 cm) lower and a bit more anterior (because the origin is defined on the line going through the pre-auricular points. In the 'vol.jpg' it seems that the origin is in the anterior commissure. Although in principle it shouldn't matter, it is convention to express the coordinates in the MEG-system's coordinate system, i.e. in neuromag space in this case. Therefore I would say that the vol and grid variables need to be adjusted, rather than the sensor positions. As mentioned in my previoius message, this can be achieved by coregistering the anatomy to the neuromag coordinate system using ft_volumerealign. You need to manually identify the locations of the fiducials that define the coordinate system, i.e. the nasion, lpa and rpa. The required cfg is: cfg.interactive = 'yes', cfg.coordsys = 'neuromag'. Once the anatomy is coregistered you can proceed with creating the vol and grid variables.

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793