[FieldTrip] non-parametric methods for comparison of power spectra

Gio Piantoni g.piantoni at nin.knaw.nl
Tue Jan 17 22:17:09 CET 2012

Hi Sangita,

I think that Fieldtrip can handle your problem just fine, if I
understand your point correctly.

If you run ft_freqanalysis with 'mtmfft', foilim [0 50] and
keeptrials='yes', you'll get a structure with dimension trials x
channel x frequency, where each element of the 3d matrix contains
power spectra. You can check the .dimord field, which will be
'rpt_chan_freq'. I don't understand your notation "channel x
frequency x power data". Do you mean a 'chan_freq' matrix with power
data in there? You'll need trials (or subjects) to calculate any
parametric or not statistics.

You can then use the output of ft_freqanalysis for your statistics. It
does not need any tweaking. The 1/f effect is not a problem because
you're testing a difference from zero, or a difference between two
conditions. So, while the mean over trials becomes smaller in absolute
values, the standard error becomes smaller as well in absolute terms,
resulting in roughly consistent t-values. In any case,
log-transformation might make your power data more normal, so that
will probably make your statistic more sound.

If this is not clear to you, please include part of your code and we
might help you further.

Hope this helps,

Gio

--