[FieldTrip] How can I calculate phase locking factor in FieldTrip?

平野 昭吾 shhirano at npsych.med.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 13 02:49:06 CET 2012

Hi everyone!

I'm a FieldTrip beginner and I have a question.
I'm sure I can estimate time frequency power with FieldTrip.
But I don't know how I can estimate time-frequency phase locking factor.
phase locking factor is defined as following equation.
Phase-locking(t)=1/N x |Σz(t)|, where N is the number of epochs and z(t) refers to the continuous phase of a single trial.
Here, z is a complex value on the unit circle, i.e., z=exp(jq), where q is the phase of an oscillation and j is the imaginary unit (e.g. Tallon-baudry et al., 1996).
Does anyone know how to calculate this phase locking factor with FieldTrip?
Any answer will help me.

Best regards,

Shogo Hirano

Department of Neuropsychiatry