[FieldTrip] artifact rejection

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Thu Jan 5 09:20:25 CET 2012

Dear Qi,

Though I am not sure to what z-score formula you are referring to, I
guess you are talking about the 'summary' mode of ft_rejectvisual.
Z-scores are computed in different ways here, once across channels and
once across time, leading to two different plots. The third plot is an
accumulated plot of these two, where colors indicate the strength of the
selected measure (e.g. z-score). Thus, in terms of the z-score formula,
it is once computed with the average and standard deviation across the
time-dimension per channel and once across the channel-dimension per
time bin. I hope this clarifies why the two plots don't show the same.

ICA can also be applied to eye blinks, for which an example is given in
the "Walkthrough"
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/walkthrough#using_ica_for_eye_artifact_removal

And of course, ICA can be used for anything else you believe in (e.g.
look for papers by Makeig)

Best,
Jörn

On 1/4/2012 4:52 PM, qi li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am confused about the plot of the z-score and 'most contribute'
> channel trial plot in the automatic artifact rejection tutorial. The
> z-score formula provided in the tutorial is  linear to the time course
> of a particular channel of a specific trial, but the two plots don't
> look alike.
>
> ICA in the tutorial only applies to ECG, can it be applied to remove
> eye blink and other known artifacts instead of rejecting trials.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Qi

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student