[FieldTrip] help with channel combination

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Sat Feb 18 10:24:02 CET 2012

Hi Karl,

This is perfectly fine behavior.

ft_connectivityanalysis either outputs a 'chan_chan_freq' matrix, or a 'chancmb_freq' matrix. The former will be the output when the input freq-structure contains fourier-spectra, and the cfg lacks a channelcmb field. Ft_connectivityanalysis then computes connectivity between all channel pairs, which can conveniently be stored in a square matrix 'chan_chan' for each frequency. If the freq-structure contains cross-spectra (and power-spectra), or if you specify a cfg.channelcmb in combination with fourierspectra in the input, you will get the connectivity data to be 'chancmb_freq', i.e. each row in the matrix contains a spectrum. The reason for this is that it is a priori unlikely that the channelcmb-array defines a set of channel pairs that can be represented in a square all-to-all matrix. If it is your intention to end up with a square matrix, you may want to consider first doing a subselection of channels, i.e. computing your fourierspectra only on the subset of channels you want to use in a later step, and then call ft_connectivityanalysis without a channelcmb field in the cfg.

See for some additional information about the different representation of frequency domain data: http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/in_what_way_can_frequency_domain_data_be_represented_in_fieldtrip

Cheers,

Jan-Mathijs

On Feb 18, 2012, at 2:16 AM, Karl Doron wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run ft_connectivityanalysis on a reduced set of MEG channels, i.e., left and right posterior channels. Because neighboring channels are highly correlated, I'd like to exclude them and look only at "inter-hemispheric" connections.
>
> I'm having some troubling getting ft_channelcombination to produce this set of channels. I have 43 channels per hemisphere giving n(n-1)/2 connections. I made an NX2 matrix using repmat.m and passed it as cfg.channelcmb; however the output of ft_connectivityanalysis gave a vector for 'cohspctrm' rather than a chan_chan_freq matrix.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Karl Doron
> UC Santa Barbara

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793