[FieldTrip] Running the ICA method to remove EOG/ECG artifact on Neuromag(*.fif) data

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Apr 13 11:57:56 CEST 2012

Hi Alex,

> it does yes. My question is then how do you compute the withering matrix?

That's the magic of EEGlab ;-). I did not look into the code but I would assume based on the estimate of the precision matrix. Do you think the magnitude problem will lead to numerical issues upon inversion of the covariance matrix?

>> Also can Fieldtrip write data back into fif files keeping intact
>> all the measurement info?
>>
>> Not really; I have some code of Lauri's (which is not yet in FT), which can
>> write epoched data to a fif-file. However, most of the measurement info is
>> lost along the way.
>
> that's what I feared.
>
>> Also, since we're not fif-experts, it's not trivial for
>> us to find out how the measurement info should be formatted. Of course it is
>> possible to reverse engineer this from the mne-code, but this is heavily
>> geared towards elekta hardware. Yet, I could imagine that this functionality
>> could be valuable, because it would enable two-way traffic of data between
>> FT and MNE-suite.
>
> that would be very valuable indeed.
>
>> Do you happen to have any code that writes meaningful
>> measurement info?
>
> not in one function or at least not in matlab.
>
> one should have a fiff_write_meas_info.m that does the opposite to:
>
> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-matlab/blob/master/matlab/fiff_read_meas_info.m
>
> part of the answer is in:
>
> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-matlab/blob/master/matlab/fiff_write_evoked.m
>
> a python example is in :
>
> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/mne/fiff/meas_info.py#L235
>
> but I agree you need a fairly good understanding of the fif format…
>
> we might have to sit down together to do this.

I am afraid so. Well, I would certainly be up for it, because it would further strengthen both packages. Shall I come to you, or will you come to me ;-)?

JM

> Alex

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793