[FieldTrip] ft_appenddata

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Sep 8 21:19:26 CEST 2011

Hi Leo,

With 'trl', are you referring to data.cfg.previous. ... .trl? I assume that data.trial (which contains the actual data) has the correct dimensionality of 1x605?
In the past, fieldtrip also concatenated the trl-matrices, but we feel that this is not appropriate. The reason for this is, that the first 2 columns of these matrices represent the sample numbers that define the epochs of interest, with respect to the first sample in the recording. If the concatenated data are derived from two different datasets, these numbers become meaningless, because they cannot be interpreted unequivocally anymore. Yet, and I hope that this was motivating your question, the trl-matrix was also used (by some) to store trial-specific information, which of course still is meaningful even if the data comes from different recordings. If this indeed relates to your question, please have a look at: http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/i_used_to_work_with_trl-matrices_that_have_more_than_3_columns._why_is_this_not_supported_anymore

If your actual question is of a different nature, could you please explain a bit more what is the problem?

Thanks,

Jan-Mathijs

On Sep 8, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Leopold Zizlsperger wrote:

> Hello
> thanks in advance for your assistance.
> I'd like to merge 2 datasets after preprocessing using ft_appendata.
> Even though it works on first view, "trl" does not add up but keeps the structure of the last dataset (304 in the example):
>
> XY_merge=ft_appenddata(cfg, x1, x2);
> input dataset 1, 29 channels, 301 trials
> input dataset 2, 29 channels, 304 trials
> Warning: input data comes from different datafiles
> > In ft_appenddata at 182
> concatenating the trials over all datasets
> removing sampleinfo field from output
> output dataset, 29 channels, 605 trials
>
> Do I miss the point ?
>
> Thanks