[FieldTrip] Antw: effect sizes in M/EEG data

Gopakumar Venugopalan venug001 at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Sep 6 14:14:52 CEST 2011

Dear All, Stevens (1996) in his multivariate statistics talks about the use
of  eta squared and partial eta squared for use in F and t tests. He cites
Cohen (1977) while saying this: The partial Eta square (η2) has statistical
benchmarks (small = .01, medium = .06, and large = .14) (Stevens, 1996).

Most stat packages should come with a effect size calculator. In SPSS it is
as simple as checking a box in the GUI.

Like Gregor and Stanley say D2 (also called the Mahalanobis distance)  is
used for multivartiate situations. An earlier edition of Stevens (1980)
comes with a table of power values for 2 to 7 groups means and alpha of .05
and .10.

I believe Gregor is right on the use of this statistic in clinical
situations, but is psych not moving in that direction, as I know most psych
folks (and all grant applications!) ask for those statistics.

Warm regards
gopa