[FieldTrip] Antw: effect sizes in M/EEG data

Stanley Klein dualitystan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 11:16:25 CEST 2011

Dear Nina,  Gregor is correct. A simple way to think of it is that effect
size (d) is the distance between two means divided by the standard deviation
of the data (like IQ). For determining significance one uses t, which is the
same difference of the means, but now divided by the standard error (the
standard deviation of the means).  SD doesn't depend on the number of
trials, but SE does. I often advocate reporting d plus its standard error.
That way one can avoid reporting an embarrassing naked statistic (a number
without its error bar).
Stan