[FieldTrip] Brainvision recorder RDA

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Wed Nov 16 16:57:38 CET 2011

Dear Casper,

The message did not sound familiar so I whad to go into the code to look it up. In fieldtrip/realtime/acquisition/brainamp/rda2ft.c there is this section

        switch(header.nType) {
            case RDA_START_MSG:
                handleStartPacket(ftSocket, header.nSize, buf);
                break;
            case RDA_INT_MSG:
            case RDA_FLOAT_MSG:
                handleDataPacket(ftSocket, header.nSize, buf);
                break;
            case RDA_STOP_MSG:
                printf("\nRemote Data Acquisition stopped\n\n");
                break;
            default:
                fprintf(stderr, "Unrecognized packet type (%i), has size %i - exiting\n", header.nType, header.nSize);
                keepRunning = 0;
                break;
            }

where the last case pertains to your message. So shat seens to happen is that rda2ft receives a packet from Recorder and subsequently has to interpret its content. The expected values are

#define RDA_START_MSG   1
#define RDA_INT_MSG     2
#define RDA_STOP_MSG    3
#define RDA_FLOAT_MSG   4

but apparently your Recorder sends a different package of type "1000". I don't know why that happens. Perhaps it is a different version of the software. My first suggested solution would be to change
                keepRunning = 0;
into
                keepRunning = 1;
and then hope that dropping this particular packet does not cause problems later. Better would be to try to identify what the packet contains and actually deal with it, but I would not know where to get accessible documentation for this.

I hope that you are able to make the change and recompile this yourself. If not, please file a request for the code enhancement at http://bugzilla.fcdonders.nl (create account, file new bug, change status in "enhancement") and one of us will look at it.

best regards,
Robert