[FieldTrip] lead field with no MRI

JoaquĆ­n Rapela rapela at ucsd.edu
Sun May 29 21:38:50 CEST 2011

Below I describe how to compute the leadfield matrix adjusted to a set of
electrodes in an extended 10-20 system, without having an MRI image.

Besides, I have a question: why in the help of the fieldtrip functions
their output is not described?

Cordially, Joaquin

I had to dig into the EEGLAB Dipfit plugin to learn how to do this. I used
the function ft_prepare_leadfield. It requires a head model and the
channel locations. Since I have an extended 10-20 electrode system, I used
a BEM head model that comes with Dipfit, and also uses an extended 10-20
system. This head model is in the plugins directory of dipfit2.2:

hdmFile=/usr/local/eeglab/plugins/dipfit2.2/standard_BEM/standard_vol.mat

and the channel locations for this head model are also in the dipfit2.2
directory:

hmChanfile=/usr/local/eeglab/plugins/dipfit2.2/standard_BEM/elec/standard_1005.elc

It turns out that the previous head model is not ready for
ft_prepare_leadfield,  and I had to use the function ft_prepare_vol_sens
to prepare it. Also, I wanted to compute the leadfield matrix only for the
channels in my data set, whose labels are in the variable dsChanlabels, so
I passed dsChanlabels as the argument 'channel' of ft_prepare_vol_sens.

Finally, I used the head model and sensors prepared by ft_prepare_vol_sens
as input to ft_prepare_headmodel. I append the code that does the job. If
you see any bug, please let me know.

Warmly, Joaquin

###
function grid = joacosPrepareLeadfield(dsChanlabels, hmChanfile, hdmFile)

    cfg = [];
    vol = ft_read_vol(hdmFile);
    sens = ft_read_sens(hmChanfile);

    [vol, sens] = ft_prepare_vol_sens(vol, sens, 'channel', dsChanlabels);

    cfg            = [];
    cfg.elec       = sens;
    cfg.vol        = vol;
    cfg.grid.resolution = 20;