[FieldTrip] cfg.method = 'sam'

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jun 3 15:23:34 CEST 2011

Hi Elena,

At some point we had an implementation for sam in FieldTrip.
Apparently, this has been taken out of the release version. I don't
know whether this was on purpose, or whether there was a good reason
to do so.
The reason you get an error is that the function is missing. We will
look into the missing function issue.
For the time being, you could try lcmv, which is very similar to sam.

On Jun 3, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Elena Orekhova wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
> Sorry, I posted much on the list recent time. I want to figure out
> how to run SAM analysis on my data.
>
> When I run 'lcmv' beamformer on my averaged dataset it works fine:
> cfg        = [];
> cfg.grad            = hdr.grad;
> cfg.method =  'lcmv';
> cfg.grid   = grid;
> cfg.vol    = vol_cm;
> cfg.reducerank=2;
> cfg.keepfilter = 'yes'
> cfg.channel    = MAG; %MAG = {'MEG0721', 'MEG0731',... }
> source  = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, tlckavg);
>

> When I do the same with   cfg.method =  'sam'  option,
> I get the error:
> *****************************
> ??? Undefined function or method 'beamformer_sam' for input
> arguments of type 'struct'.
>
> Error in ==> sourceanalysis at 1158
>       dip(i) = beamformer_sam(grid, sens, vol, squeeze(avg(i,:,:)),
> squeeze(Cy(i,:,:)),
>       optarg{:});
>
> Error in ==> ft_sourceanalysis at 11
> [varargout{1:nargout}] = funhandle(varargin{:});
>
> Does anybody know how to make the ‘SAM’ option to work?
> Does anybody used cfg.method =  'sam'  option in the Fieldtrip???
>
> Regards,
> Elena

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,