[FieldTrip] One-sided versus two-sided cluster statistics

Nina Kahlbrock Nina.Kahlbrock at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Feb 21 18:54:27 CET 2011

Dear all,

I have a question concerning cluster based permutation statistics.

It is more a basic question on the difference between one- and two-sided
testings. I recall from simple t-tests that as an approach to your two-sided
p-value you can multiply your one-sided p-value by 2. I hope this is
correct? And I am assuming this to also hold in the other direction, thus,
approximating your one-sided p-value by dividing your two-sided p-value by
2?

That is why I am expecting something similar when calculating my statistics
with a cluster based permutation approach.

So what I am actually doing is comparing two conditions at one sensor,
comparing time-frequency data.

When I calculate a two-sided dependent samples t-test

(cfg = [];

cfg.channel = 'all';

cfg.latency = [0.5 1.5];

cfg.avgoverchan = 'no';

cfg.avgovertime = 'no';

cfg.parameter = 'powspctrm';

cfg.method = 'montecarlo';

cfg.statistic = 'depsamplesT';

cfg.correctm = 'cluster';

cfg.clusteralpha = 0.05;

cfg.clusterstatistic = 'maxsum';

cfg.tail = 0;

cfg.clustertail = 0;

cfg.alpha = 0.025;

cfg.numrandomization = 1000;

)

, I find one positive cluster with a p-value of 0.036, thus not significant
(see fig 1).

When I then change my settings to a one-sided test

(cfg.tail = 1;

cfg.clustertail = 1;

cfg.alpha = 0.05;)

, the positive cluster gets a p-value of 0.056, again not significant (see
fig 2).

With the assumption described above, however, I would expect this to become
significant when using a one-sided test. Is my assumption correct? If not,
could anybody comment on what is wrong about my assumption?

I would be very grateful for any advice!

Kind regards and thank you very much in advance!

Nina

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nina Kahlbrock

Institute of Clinical Neuroscience and Medical Psychology

Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf

Universitaetsstr.  1

40225  Düsseldorf

Tel.:      +49 211 81 18075