[FieldTrip] Single-subject Monte Carlo PLV or WPLI test?

Matthew Davidson matthew at psych.columbia.edu
Fri Feb 18 18:31:58 CET 2011

Thanks for your reply, Dr. Maris. I'm sure you're very busy, so I
really appreciate your taking time out to answer me.

I'd already tried clustering across only time/frequency and not across
channel, but what I found was that the strongest channels "set the
bar" for all the others, so to speak. I would see 2-3 strong channels
with long significant durations reaching significance, and everything
else would be silenced. Whereas with parametric stats, I had enough
strong signals to detect changes under FDR and Bonferroni correction
across a wide range of times and channels. Would z-scoring to
compensate for electrode sensitivity differences have helped?

I considered doing Monte Carlo stats for each channel independently,
and then adjusting critical p-vals via FDR or Bonferroni, but for 100
channels, I would need at least 20000 permutations just to have the
Monte Carlo p-val resolution *approach* the adjusted Bonferroni
p-vals, and would probably need more to be safe. Factor in several
subjs and contrasts, and I computed my analysis would take a few weeks
to run.

This was why I asked about a parametric method; while I'd prefer
permutation methods, I fear the same problem will occur with my
connectivity analysis. I know your focus is on permutation stats, but
do you have any insight into how to proceed? Think I could generate a
permutation distribution of the WPLI differences from a random
sampling of electrodes and contrasts, and then, if they look
sufficiently close to normal (or transformable via something like a
log transform), use that as an argument for using t-tests if I have
to?

Thanks again,
Matthew