[FieldTrip] What exactly does 'minnbchan' refer just to spatial neighbors?

David Groppe dgroppe at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 8 19:18:59 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Eric Maris <e.maris at donders.ru.nl> wrote:
> Dear David,
>

>> Thanks very much for the email Eric, but I'm confused as to why you
>> answered "No" to my second comment.  From what I understand, if you
>> use a value of minnbchan that is greater than 0, then any significant
>> clusters will necessarily spread across multiple electrodes.  For
>> example, if you set minnbchan to 1, then all significant clusters will
>> have to include at least two electrodes so that each significant
>> "voxel" has at least one neighbor at another electrode.  Thus, if your
>> effect is truly at only a single electrode, having a value of
>> minnbchan greater than 0 will force you to miss the effect or to think
>> it occurs at more electrodes than it really does.  What part of my
>> reasoning is incorrect?
>
> Your reasoning is correct and mine was incorrect. I should read better
> before I write. My apologies for this.

Got it. Thanks very much for clarifying Eric.

> I do have to qualify that with minnbchan=0 it may also happen that your
> significant cluster contains more than one electrode (the electrode with the
> true effect plus some surrounding ones that by accident exceed the threshold
> that is used to identify clusters).

That makes perfect sense.  Since our lab uses only a limited number of
electrodes (32), I wanted to make sure I understood the minimum number
of electrodes an effect needs to span to be detected.
      once again, I very much appreciate your answers to my questions,
              -David