[FieldTrip] Problems time-frequency analysis of Local Field Potential

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Dec 16 14:02:36 CET 2011

Dear Zuyue,

I agree with Eelke. One thing you need to check is whether the time axis (in data.time{}) is in seconds or milliseconds.
In the cfg to ft_freqanalysis you specify it in seconds. FieldTrip does not care about the exact units, so you need to ensure that the units in the time-axis correspond.

BW,

Jan-Mathijs

On Dec 16, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Eelke Spaak wrote:

> Dear Zuyue,
>
> When you invoke ft_singleplotTFR, do you specify a means of baseline
> correction and/or explicit z-limits (i.e., limits of the color axis)?
> When looking at raw power (i.e., not contrasted), it is advisable to
> use a baseline correction in order to see something. Also, specifying
> z-limits of a different order of magnitude than your data will of
> course lead to all blue plots.
>
> You should take a look at the time-frequency analysis tutorial,
> particularly the part about visualization:
> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/timefrequencyanalysis#visualization
>
> If you still don't see anything after you use baseline correction (or
> plot a contrast instead) and have proper z-limits, there might be
> something else wrong.
>
> Best,
> Eelke
>
> 2011/12/16 chenzuyue <chenzuyue at live.cn>:
>> Hi, everyone,
>>
>> I am a new user of FieldTrip. In my study, I want to computes the difference
>> of time-frequency representations of event-related LFP in two conditions.
>>
>> The data in the first condition is a 4 X 1100 X 103 matrix (Nchan X Nsamples
>> X Ntrials). The data in the second condition is a 4 X 1100 X 107 matrix. The
>> data reformatted are as follows:
>>
>> dataset1.label (4 X 1 cell );
>>
>> dataset1.fsample 1000;
>>
>> dataset1.trial (1 X 103 cell );
>>
>> dataset1.time (1X 103 cell); % time is from -100ms to 999ms.
>>

>> dataset2.label (4 X 1 cell );
>>
>> dataset2.fsample 1000;
>>
>> dataset2.trial (1 X 107 cell );
>>
>> dataset2.time (1X 107 cell ); % time is from -100ms to 999ms.
>>

>> The frequency interested is 0-100Hz. The method to calculate TFRs is the
>> multitaper method. The configuration is as below:
>>
>> cfg = [];
>> cfg.output     = 'pow';
>> cfg.method     = 'mtmconvol';
>> cfg.foi        = 1:2:100;
>> cfg.t_ftimwin  = 5./cfg.foi;
>> cfg.tapsmofrq  = 0.4 *cfg.foi;
>> cfg.toi        = -0.1:0.05:1;
>> cfg.pad        = 'maxperlen';
>> TFRmult1 = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, dataset1);
>>
>> But after running, I can not get the right results. When I use
>> ft_singleplotTFR to plot graph, there is only blue color. I wonder whether
>> the process and configuration is right.
>>
>> The method is from one paper of E Maris and R Oostenvels published on the
>> Journal of Neuroscience Methods.164(2007), 177-190; Figure 3.
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17517438
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> Yours Sincerely,
>>
>> Zuyue

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793