[FieldTrip] second-level stats with TFR

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Dec 7 08:52:21 CET 2011

Cher Seb,

In order to be able to compute a single subject T-statistic on the TFR you indeed need to specify cfg.keeptrials = 'yes', prior to calling ft_freqanalysis. Are you absolutely sure that you did this? If so, we need to look into this. Could you create yourself an account on our bugzilla file-server (bugzilla.fcdonders.nl) and file this as a bug. Just copy and paste your e-mail message and also upload some script+data facilitating the reproduction of the problem?

Cheers,

Jan-Mathijs

On Dec 7, 2011, at 7:52 AM, miellet at psy.gla.ac.uk wrote:

> Hello,
> I've got problems doing second-level stats with TFR because of the data structure.
> I previously did it with ERF and didn't experience any difficulty. I'm just comparing 2 conditions so the design is very simple. The dimord for ERF was rpt_chan_time so I had access to the different trials.
> For ERF, I computed individual t-values between my conditions and across trials; then averaged the result across participants and compared the grand-average to zero. Do you think this strategy makes sense?
> For TFR, the dimord is chan_freq_time (with cfg.keeptrials='yes', before or after ft_freqbaseline). Obviously I don't want to compute the individual t-values across channels, freq bands or time points but across trials.
> Do you have any idea where I could find this information please? (I look in previous.....previous but couldn't find anything useful. I also specify keeptrials at each step of the process)
> Thank you very much for your help,
> Sebastien

> Dr. Sébastien Miellet, Lecturer
>
> Department of Psychology
> University of Fribourg
> Faucigny 2
> 1700 Fribourg
> Switzerland
>
> tel: +41 26 300 7666
>

> Quoting Sara Bögels <s.bogels at psy.gla.ac.uk>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been trying to do second-level statistical inference (as described in one of the FAQs) on ERFs, but I am not sure whether I am doing everything correctly.
>>
>> In the first step I calculate the T-values for the difference between two conditions (twice), which are between items, with ft_timelockstatistics. I put the output of all participants in a cell (called 'stat1a' and 'stat1b'). (I tried to use ft_timelockgrandaverage to combine the subjects together but it needs a field avg).
>>
>> Then I use ft_timelockstatistics again but  subject level. I first want to look at the difference between the two conditions. This difference is reflected in the T-values of the first step so I create a dummy which is the same as 'stat1' but I replace all the values in the field 'stat' per participant with zeros. Then I call (with appropriate cfg parameters):
>>
>> stat2a = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg,stat1a{:},dummy{:});
>> stat2b = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg,stat1b{:},dummy{:});
>>
>> To compare the two differences (stat1a and stat1b) and thereby look at an interaction, I call:
>>
>> stat2a-b = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg,stat1a{:},stat1b{:});
>>
>> I am uncertain whether the dummy works (or is there a way to compare the t-values to zero directly?) and whether the stat1a{:} trick works with ft_timelockstatistics.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your answer.
>>
>> Sara

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793