[FieldTrip] mixed between/within subject Anova

Eric Maris e.maris at donders.ru.nl
Thu Aug 18 07:50:08 CEST 2011

Dear Olga,

> I'd like to use mixed between subjects (3 groups) and within subject (2
> factors each has 2 levels) Anova design to compare the ERPs using cluster
> permutation statistics (ft_timelockananlysis).
> But to my understanding it is impossible. Am I right?

The problem is with the interaction effects. With permutation tests, you
cannot test the interaction between two (or more) between-UO variables
(UO=subject or trial) nor the interaction between two or more within-UO
variables. However, with permutation tests, you can test the interaction
between a between- and a within-UO variables. So. In your study, you would
only be unable to test the interaction between the two within-subject
variables.

There have been more threads on the testing of interaction effects. You can
find them by searching in the discussion list archive.

Best,

Eric Maris