[FieldTrip] databrowser and merged data

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Mon Aug 8 15:36:11 CEST 2011

Dear Marco,

Let me make three points in response to your question.

(1) Actually, in general, timelock data structures should never
contain sampleinfo, since sampleinfo describes which samples in the
original recording your trials correspond to (I'm not sure about
timelocked data with cfg.keeptrials='yes').

(2) However, I don't think that point (1) is relevant to your problem.
More relevant is this: why do you want to use the databrowser to
visualise timelocked data? The databrowser is meant to conveniently
page through data with a big time axis. Usually, your timelocked data
will not have a big time axis, but a small one. For this, we have the
ft_singleplotER-function, or simply matlab's plot().

(3) When you provide data that lacks a sampleinfo field to a fieldtrip
function that requires a sampleinfo field, the sampleinfo should be
automatically constructed. (This is taken care of by ft_checkdata,
which is also responsible for converting your timelocked data into raw
data in case you pass it to the databrowser.) So, even if you decide
that you really want to use the databrowser to display timelocked
data, it should actually just work :) Are you using the latest version
of fieldtrip? If so, could you provide me with some more details on
the error and its circumstances?

Best,
Eelke