[FieldTrip] fieldtrip Digest, Vol 8, Issue 40

Eric Maris e.maris at donders.ru.nl
Thu Aug 4 14:08:39 CEST 2011

Hi Anna,

thank you for your first answer. Actually my question is really on the right
way to implement a group comparison in fieldtrip (patient vs control group).

Is it ok to run an independent t-test with the following design:

design = zeros(2,n_group1+n_group2);
design(2,:) = 1;
design(1,1:n_group1)     = 1:n_group1;
design(1,n_group1+1:end) = 1:n_group2;

This is not correct. I advise you to have a look at the Fieldtrip tutorial
on cluster-based permutation tests. A between-subjects experiment (e.g.,
patients versus controls) is formally equivalent to a between-trials
experiment (explained in detail in the tutorial), and therefore should be
analyzed in the same way. You can even copy-paste part of the tutorial code
for the analysis of your between-subjects data.

A subsequent question is whether it is possible to implement a mixed design
or we always have to proceed by combining conditions and compare it between
groups.

I do not see the contrast between these two options. What is wrong with the
second option? In fact, it is the option that is advocated in many
statistics books (e.g., Maxwell & Delaney, Johnson & Wichren).

Best,

Eric Maris

Cheers,
Anna.