[FieldTrip] preprocessing per channel

Lieneke. Janssen lieneke.janssen at student.ru.nl
Wed Apr 27 10:55:33 CEST 2011

Hi Eelke and others,

Thanks for your reply. ft_appenddata might indeed solve my problem!

It would be nice though if cfg.method would work the same for preprocessing per trial and preprocessing per channel.
If cfg.method is not specified, fieldtrip assumes cfg.method = trial. It then preprocesses every trial subsequently and gives you one output file in which all subsequently preprocessed trials are present.

Since I would like to preprocess my complete dataset as if one big trial as a first step, which apparently takes too much memory, I wanted to preprocess per channel (for all channels) instead of per trial. So I set cfg.method to channel. It then preprocesses every channel subsequently (as 'per trial'), but only gives you the output of the most recently processed channel (in contrary to 'per trial'). I therefore assume that output/data from the previously preprocessed channel gets lost (i.e. overwritten) when fieldtrip continues with the next channel. So unfortunately you end up with the output of the last preprocessed channel only. This does not happen for preprocessing per trial (i.e. ending up with the output of the last preprocessed trial only).

I hope this problem can be solved sooner or later. Until then, I'll append my data :).

Best,
Lieneke