Which way is correct? <Re: volumerealign error>

Jim Li megjim1 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 15 21:55:33 CEST 2010

(a)  Aha, we found that, even though "mri" has a field called "anatomy",
running "[segmentedmri]=ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri)" will drop that"anatomy"
field for "segmentedmri" , thus causing trouble for subsequent
implementation of "ft_volumerealign(cfg, segmentedmri)". That's why we got
the error message.

By adding the "anatomy" field to "segmentedmri" before running
""ft_volumerealign(cfg, segmentedmri)", the problem can be solved.

Here is the full script that worked now:
mri = ft_read_mri('../2_mri.img');
cfg = [];
cfg.write        = 'no';
cfg.coordinates = 'spm';
[segmentedmri] = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri);
segmentedmri.anatomy= mri.anatomy;  % a newly added line that solved the issue

cfg           = [];
cfg.method    = 'interactive';
[realigned_mri] = ft_volumerealign(cfg, segmentedmri)

(b) Interestingly, if we swap the above steps (i.e.  do "ft_volumerealign"
first, then "ft_volumesegment"), it also works fine. Here is the full script
that works, too:
mri = ft_read_mri('../2_mri.img');
cfg = [];
cfg.write        = 'no';
cfg.coordinates = 'spm';
[mri_realign] = ft_volumerealign(cfg, mri)

cfg = [];
cfg.write        = 'no';
cfg.coordinates = 'spm';
[segmentedmri] = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri_realign);

My question is: given these two ways to process data, which one is the
correct way?  Do "ft_volumesegment" first, then "ft_volumerealign" (i.e. use
scripts in (a)) ? Or  do "ft_volumerealign" first, then "ft_volumesegment"
(i.e. use scripts in (b))?

Thanks.

Jim