Reading a csv file into FieldTrip, calculating power and coherence between channels...

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at DONDERS.RU.NL
Thu May 27 09:05:01 CEST 2010

Dear W. Saad,

It seems you call ft_freqanalysis with only one quite long data trial
in the input.
This leads to a frequency tranform which has a very high spectral
resolution.
The number of tapers used in multitapering (for a given requested half-
bandwidth cfg.tapsmofrq)
is a function of the spectral resolution. In other words, the higher
the spectral resolution, the more
tapers are needed. In your case you have approx. 500 seconds of data,
yielding a spectral
resolution of 1/500 Hz. To achieve a spectral smoothing of 5 Hz you
need approximately 1000
tapers. Besides the fact that this is rather meaningless, it will
totally exceed your memory limits
when the tapers are constructed. The remedy here is to cut your data
into shorter segments. The
length of these segments will be determined by your experimental
question.

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,
J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl