welch's method

Jan Hirschmann Jan.Hirschmann at MED.UNI-DUESSELDORF.DE
Tue Mar 9 10:20:36 CET 2010

Dear fieldtrip experts,

as I have used Welch's method with 50% overlap on the sensor level I
would like to do the same on the source level prior to using DICS.  Now
I am not quite sure what configuration I should use for freqanalysis as
fieldtrip is all about multitapering. If I specify cfg.t_ftimwin and
cfg.toi such that I get 50% overlap and use cfg.taper=hanning and
cfg.method=mtmwelch is this equivalent to Welch's method? And is it
appropriate to use small windows, i.e. to reduce spectral resolution, to
mimic smoothing?

Thanks for your help!

Jan