artifact rejection of continuous data in fieldtrip

Nathan Weisz nathanweisz at MAC.COM
Thu Mar 18 21:32:46 CET 2010

dear henning,

is this what you want?
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_01:_Rejecting_Artifacts#Rejecting_artifacts_in_continuous_data

you could then do some preprocessing in eeglab, epoch the data and the get your data into fieldtrip via eeglab2fieldtrip.m.

good luck,
nathan

On 18.03.2010, at 18:58, Henning Holle wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I have a more general question about how continuous data is treated in fieldtrip. After playing around with the package for a bit, I noticed that although using continuous data is in principle supported, sooner or later one always runs into a dead-end, because most functions assume that trials are defined very early on in the processing tree (i.e., they don't work without a cfg.trl present). For instance, most artifact rejection functions seem to work only on epoched data.
>
> I have used EEProbe previously, and what I quite liked about that program was that is was possible to do artifact rejection once for the continuous data set, and subsequently one was free to define trials however one wanted to. In contrast, in fieldtrip one is forced to do a new artifact rejection (which is very time-consuming!), when one chooses to analyse the ERPs time-locked to a different event. Or am I missing something here?
>
> Is there a possibility to do an artifact rejction before the data is cut into epochs?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Henning
>
> --
> *************************
> Dr. Henning Holle,
> Department of Psychology,
> University of Sussex,
> Falmer, Brighton,
> BN1 9QH, U.K.
> Tel. : +44 (0)1273 877240
> Fax. : +44 (0)1273 678058
>
> ----------------------------------
> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the FieldTrip  toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new ideas for MEG and EEG analysis. See also http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html and http://www.ru.nl/neuroimaging/fieldtrip.

Dr. Nathan Weisz

OBOB-Lab
University of Konstanz
Department of Psychology
P.O. Box D23
78457 Konstanz
Germany

Tel: ++49 - (0)7531 - 88 45 84
Email: nathan.weisz at uni-konstanz.de
Homepage: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/obob

"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." (Indiana Jones)