[FieldTrip] cluster-based permutation tests on MNE-surface data

Meeren.H.K.M. hanneke.meeren at uvt.nl
Thu Dec 30 00:18:04 CET 2010

Dear Jan-Mathijs,

Thank you for your quick answer. I have used the MNE/mne_analyze stream developed by Matti Hamalainen which implements the anatomically-constrained noise-normalized MNE
(Dale et al.2000). The spatial structure of the data is indeed the cortical sheet segmented and reconstructed using Freesurfer. The individual cortical sheets were morphed onto each other using Matti's mne-stream which performs intersubject alignment of cortical landmarks based on a spherical surface-based coordinate system according to the method of  Fischl et al. (1999, Hum. Brain Mapping 8:272–284). I it makes use of a Freesurfer algorithm.

Although the cortical sheet can functionally be considered as a folded 2D-sheet, computation-wise it is a 3D-patch of vertices, with each vertex having an x, y and z-coordinate, being the positions of the dipoles. I presume FT_SOURCESTATISTICS uses a 3D-voxel-grid, with the neighbors of each voxel being automatically defined on the basis of this grid (?). The trick would be then to translate the 3D-patch into a 3D-grid..., or not? No, I haven't thought of it yet how to do this. Also I don't know in which field and which format I should put the spatial info..

Alternatively, I was wondering whether I could work my way around it by using FT_TIMELOCKSTATISTICS instead and to consider the vertices as a set of (intracranial) electrodes with their x,y,z coordinates (and their time-course!). For the spatial clustering I would need to generate a neighborhood-structure. I don't know, however, how I should exactly pass the vertex positions info to the function. Using cfg.elec or cfg.elecfile, or data.elec, but it is not clear to me what should be the exact format of the structure. It is also not clear to me whether it is necessary to give each vertex a label (in which field should I put this?), or whether only setting cfg.neigbourdist would do the trick.

It would be very helpful to have an example EEG input dataset for FT_TIMELOCKSTATISTICS and an example input dataset for FT_SOURCESTATISTICS to see what the exact format of the data should be! I couldn't find either of them in the tutorial.

Best regards,

Hanneke