[FieldTrip] Hann taper vs. single Slepian taper

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Mon Dec 20 09:59:05 CET 2010

To complement Ingrids good explanation: the shape of the Slepian
tapers depend on how many you compute, i.e. if you compute one it will
have a (slightly) different shape that the first one if you compute
four. The first Slepian taper never goes exactly to zero at the edges,
whereas the Hanning (or Hann, as it is also called) does. The
consequence is that a single Slepian leaks more than a Hanning. The
reason for using a Hanning taper is typically that you don't want to
spectrally smooth (usually because the time window is already on the
short side), so the leakage of a single Slepian is in that case not
desired.

Robert