[FieldTrip] Hann taper vs. single Slepian taper

Ingrid Nieuwenhuis inieuwenhuis at berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 18 01:13:12 CET 2010

Dear David,

The Slepian tapers are sets of multiple (orthogonal) tapers, that only
combined accomplish this "optimally maximized frequency resolution while
minimizing leakage from distant frequencies". If you use only a single
taper, the Slepian taper is suboptimal compared to the Hanning taper.
I've attached some teaching slides I have with some background on
multitapers.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Ingrid