problem with automatic artifact detection

Elisabeth May ElisabethSusanne.May at UNI-DUESSELDORF.DE
Fri Apr 16 15:51:13 CEST 2010

Dear Fieldtrip users,

I am trying to use Fieldtrip's automatic artifact detection on a new MEG
dataset (recorded with the Neuromag 306 system) and encountered a
problem that I didn't have before. During EOG artifact detection, I get
the following warning for each of my (300) trials:

".Reading 599676 ... 606076  =    299.838 ...   303.038 secs... [done]
Warning: Matrix is close to singular or badly scaled.
         Results may be inaccurate. RCOND = 7.730460e-17.
 > In filtfilt at 81
  In filtfilt at 49
  In preproc_bandpassfilter at 73
  In fieldtrip-20100208/private/preproc at 256
  In ft_artifact_zvalue at 149
  In artifact_zvalue at 17
  In ft_artifact_eog at 121
Warning: Matrix is close to singular or badly scaled.
         Results may be inaccurate. RCOND = 7.730460e-17.
 > In filtfilt at 81
  In filtfilt at 49
  In preproc_bandpassfilter at 73
  In fieldtrip-20100208/private/preproc at 256
  In ft_artifact_zvalue at 149
  In artifact_zvalue at 17
  In ft_artifact_eog at 121"

The function nevertheless runs through but the resulting z-scores don't
make sense (see the figure bad z-scores attached to this email for an
example of a trial). I have another dataset from the same recording
session with the same subject where a different paradigm was used. With
that paradigm, the artifact detection works fine (see figure good
z-scores). This was the same for another subject who did both of the
paradigms within one recording session. The only thing I could think of
that could be important and is different between the two paradigms /
datasets is the sampling frequency; the artifact detection seems to work
fine for a sampling frequency of 1000 Hz but not for a sampling
frequency of 2000 Hz.

Since the warning refers to preproc_bandpassfilter,  I tried to track
the steps of the filtering and plotted the data of a single trial and
one EOG channel before and after the application of the bandpass filter
during the EOG artifact detection routine. I did this for both the
paradigm that results in "normal" z-scores (figures good before
filtering and good after filtering) and for the one that results in the
z-scores that don't make sense (figures bad before filtering and bad
after filtering). I don't know very much about filters, but is it
possible that the settings for the filters are somehow not working /
calculated wrongly for the 2000 Hz sampling frequency? Or am I
completely on the wrong track? Has anyone else encountered this problem
before?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,
Elisabeth

--
Dipl.-Psych. Elisabeth May

Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Institut für Klinische Neurowissenschaften und Medizinische Psychologie
Universitätsstr. 1
40225 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49 211 81-18075

http://www.uniklinik-duesseldorf.de/med-psychologie