Q about integration with SPM8

Tue Jan 13 09:43:07 CET 2009

On 12 Jan 2009, at 23:13, Vladimir Litvak wrote:
> if the two get slightly out of sync those new features will not work.
> Thus, I repeat my recommendation to leave things as they are. Don't
> you agree, Robert?

depends on whether you are leaning towards the spm8 side or to the
fieldtrip side. Debugging fieldtrip will be easier with a standard
(and of course the latest) fieldtrip version, debugging spm8 is easier
with the fieldtrip version included in spm8.

The two are kept in sync as close as possible. So I don't expect major
problems either way (except for the occasional bug that will hamper
both).

On 13 Jan 2009, at 0:04, John Iversen wrote:
> So, now I'm considering just using the version of FT included in SPM
> for all my uses. I don't take advantage of the daily upgrades to FT,
> so the slower release schedule is fine. How does that sound?

sounds fine to me. Actually, we (that is the fieldtrip developers)
might decide in the future to change all fieldtrip function names to
the spm ft_xxx scheme. At the moment that is too much work and would
cause too much problems. But getting used to using the ft_xxx naming
scheme in your own scripts might therefore in the future be handy.

The reason that I prefer people to use the standard fieldtrip version
is that it makes it much easier to find the help of the functions
(which is not available in spm from the command line, due to the
anonymous wrappers being in the way). Furthermore, the recently
modified directory layout of fieldtrip clarifies how all pieces fit
together (with an explicit distinction between public and private code
and showing the various modules), whereas the directory layout in spm8
hides this (all interesting stuff goes into private). But as I said,
the code is the same, every day an update from Nijmegen is sent to
London, and you should just do whatever is the most comfortable for you.

Robert