Sources

Michael Wibral wibral at BIC.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu Feb 5 10:39:12 CET 2009

Hi Marco,

I think there is no fundamental reason why you shouldn't be able to spot a power decrease in source space. What could be is that the source of the power decrease varies more over subjects (in anatomical location) than the source of the power increase - maybe you could run your analysis with a higher lambda to check this. Another physiological reason could be that the source of the power decrease actually consists of two sources that are at some distance, but highly synchronous - in which case they will cancel each other using beamforming.

Then there are three silly mistakes I made previously, so I give you a list to check - not necessarily assuming you did the same mistakes:
1. Do your functional limits and your opacity limits allow to plot negative values?
2. Do you do a two-sided test in sourcestatistics ?
3. Do you possibly look at a relative (% or z-score) measure at the electrode level but at absolute (non-basline corrected) values in source space - or vice versa? This can sometimes give seemingly opposing effects, especially when you are comparing two groups of subjects that might have systematic differences in baseline power already.

'hope this helps,
Michael