Lead Field

Pádraig Kitterick p.kitterick at PSYCH.YORK.AC.UK
Mon Jun 23 16:16:33 CEST 2008

The method implemented in meg_leadfield1.m gives the same result as the
equations of Sarvas. It's just a different formulation of the forward
problem. I've produced identical leadfields calculated with several
different packages, including fieldtrip, and also a direct
implementation of the Sarvas equations.

It is possible that the CTF software is accounting for the coil loop
radii and other machine-specific inputs to the calculations, but these
rarely change the fields by large amounts. Are you using the same sphere
to approximate the head in both instances? The meg_leadfield1.m code
assumes that the centre of the single sphere is at the origin, (0,0,0).
If the centre of the sphere isn't at the origin, then you need to adjust
the dipole and sensor locations by subtracting the centre of the sphere
from their coordinates. The CTF system could well be doing this
adjustment using a pre-programmed sphere centre based on either a
general estimation or coregistration information it has available to it.
Unless you can access all the information that it is using to do the
calculations, it will be very hard to get identical answers.

The best thing is to ensure that you have a good estimate of the centre
of the single sphere for your sensor array based on an average
head/brain or a particular subject you are trying to model. Then your
fields will be as accurate, despite not being identical in absolute
numerical values to those produced by the CTF software.

Padraig

--
Pádraig Kitterick
Graduate Student