CTF 3rd order gradiometers correction

Vladimir Litvak v.litvak at ION.UCL.AC.UK
Thu Jul 10 14:34:19 CEST 2008

Dear Michael,

You don't need to wait. You just need to be careful. The version
presently available on the FTP server supports reading CTF datasets
with denoising. Just see my remarks from the e-mails before. You
should specify:

cfg.headerformat = 'ctf_new';
cfg.dataformat = 'ctf_new';

for preprocessing and also specify ctf_new in read_data and
read_header if you call them directly.

The signs that you are using the right reader (from external ctf
toolbox) are that there is a disclaimer message appearing every time
you read something and if you do imagesc(log(abs(grad.tra))) for a 3rd
gradient dataset, you'll see that there is a lot happening on the
right side of the matrix related to reference sensors (for the wrong
reader you'll just see some straight lines).

Then use the data and the grad normally. To be careful I'd suggest you
to test your results thoroughly. Try to do the same analysis with
'raw' and 3rd gradient. Also you can try converting with either CTF
software or denoise_synthetic and compare the results (for
denoise_synthetic to work you must use the new reader).

The more people do this kind of tests and report their results, the
more confident we'll become of the new code and the sooner Robert will
make it default.

Good luck,

Vladimir