DICS Localization Problem

Vladimir Litvak v.litvak at ION.UCL.AC.UK
Tue Aug 5 10:10:10 CEST 2008

Dear Nathans,

I think Nathan2 is in the right direction. I don't see anything in
Nathan1's code that performs coregistration of the head model and the
sensors, Robert and people at the Donders use CTF software to prepare
their MRIs. In that software they specify the three fiducials and then
the MRI is saved with transform from voxels to CTF head coordinates,
the same coordinate system that the sensors are in. Thus when one uses
MRI preprocessed with CTF software there is no need to  coregrister.
But this is not true in general, but rather an exception. Nathan1 uses
MRI preprocessed with SPM. This MRI is most probably in MNI or some
native coordinates in mm. The sensors are in head coordinates in cm
(although I'm not sure about your particular system). The latest
versions of FT, of the last month or so complain if there is a
mismatch in units but they don't complain if your sensors are rotated
90 degrees for instance. So indeed you should become very well
familiar with headmodelplot. Also look at volumerealign,
electroderealign and interactiverealign. In general coregistration is
quite tricky business, which is not very well reflected at the FT
website because at the Donders they do it in one particular way, which
makes it not so tricky for them.

In SPM8 which will be released in October and is integrated with FT
there will be a semi- automatic tool for coregistration that works
with the 3 common MEG systems. But until then you have to figure it
out. It's useful in the long run if you don't want to do things
blindly.

Best,

Vladimir