Meg planar

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Thu Oct 25 11:40:14 CEST 2007

Dear Marie,

The planar gradient transformation algorithm is not dependent on
single trial, or averaged data as an input. The transformation of the
data, moving from 151 (in your case) axial gradients to 302 planar
gradients, is just the consequence of applying a spatial
transformation matrix on the data. This spatial transformation matrix
is computed from the gradiometer information, and the method
specified (btw: in my experience specifying cfg.method = 'sincos'
gives the best results). Anyway, your problems are introduced when
recombining the planar-data into 151 'sensors' again. This is done by
combineplanar, which applies pythagoras to the -dH and -dV components
of a given sensor. This means that all values become positive
(agree?). Thus, applying this procedure on the single trials leads to
a 'positive' baseline, because the average of positive valued numbers
can never go to zero.
If you are bothered by this, you could perhaps not already subtract
the baseline prior to calling timelockstatistics, but after having
called combineplanar.

Yours,

Jan-Mathijs