volumenormalize reverse mapping

Marie Smith marie at PSY.GLA.AC.UK
Tue Oct 2 17:33:29 CEST 2007

Dear Jan-Mathijs + fellow fieldtrippers,

Sorry for my delayed response to your mail. In the end the
volumenormalize (with nonlinear = 'no') works fine with a newer
version of fieldtrip, and I am able to output the normalised (and non-
normalised) functional data to AFNI.  Now that I have this working,
and can identify group maxima, i would like to be able to transform
back into the CTF voxel space.

I know the final transformation applied to the data in
volumenormalize (norm.cfg.final T2). I had thought that to move from
the new space (vox2) to the original (vox1) would would be simple and
that I would just have to invert the final transformation matrix as

vox1 = inv (T2) * vox2

but this does not seem to be correct.  So I am wondering where I am
going wrong. Does the norm.cfg.final give the full transformation
from ctf to spm space? including flipping any axes, scaling etc.

Alternatively, I tried to work out the relationship by using the
affine transformation matrix of the original mri in CTF space
(MRI_T), and the new transformation matrix of the normalised mri
(norm.transform, NORM_T) and some other transformation to go from SPM
to CTF co-ords (CTF2SPM) as:

NORM_T * vox2 = mm (SPM) = CTF2SPM (mm (CTF)) = CTF2SPM (MRI_T * vox1)
i.e. vox1 = inv(MRI_T)*inv(CTF2SPM)*NORM_T*vox2

but again, i think there is a problem somewhere. I am getting the
CTF2SPM transformation from the one used inside volumenormalise for
this purpose, but perhaps it is incorrect.

I would appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks,

Marie