MultiplotER using Neuromag lay

alotof eve alotof_xd at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 19 00:14:35 CET 2007

Hi, Christian,

    Sorry I didn't reply this for a long time. Thanks for these suggestions. They work well. And I found after using read_data, the other processing still can work for whole data.

    However, I met another problem.

    After I did timelockanalysis, I tried to plot average data using multiplotER. I downloaded the file "NM306mag.lay" and other two you offered. The layoutplot(cfg) shows that the files are correct. However, when I used multiplotER(cfg,avgdata), the figure showed up was blank. Nothing on it even the lables.

     Could you or other experts tell me the possible way to figure it out? Thanks so much.

  Best,
  Eve

Christian Hesse <c.hesse at FCDONDERS.RU.NL> wrote:
  Hi Eve,

        I can use meg-pd toolbox now. However, it seems all the functions in FieldTrip are for evoked data while my raw data is continuous data.

FieldTrip handles a variety of data, and the low level reading functions can deal with continuous or epoch based raw data.

  When you analyze your data in FT, you usually start by defining your trials, i.e. epochs in your continuous data that are of interest, w.r.t. to some sort of trigger or event. The function PREPROCESSING then scans through your raw data file and returns a data structure which contains all of the specified epochs (for a particular trial definition) in a field data.trial. Please note that this has nothing to do with evoked vs induced responses just yet.

  You can use the output of PREPROCESSING as input to either TIMELOCKANALYSIS or FREQUANALYSIS which look at evoked and induced phenomena, respectively. Afterwards you can call various statistical functions such as FREQDESCRIPTIVES, etc ...

  So the reason why I have been giving you the examples using read_header and read_data is because I needed to determine the nature of the error you were getting without really knowning anything about what sort of data is in your file. In your use of FT you do not actually use these functions yourself, but basically use functions like DEFINE_TRIAL and PREPROCESSING to start with.