too many mails on list? -> use digest mode

Wed Feb 21 15:32:51 CET 2007

Dear FieldTrip list subscribers,

It seems that the amount of traffic on the list recently has
increased quite a bit. That is good, since it means that there are
ideas to be shared, but not all emails will be equally interesting to
everyone. I still suggest to keep the discussions on the list and not
move them off the list, since quite some other people on the list can
also learn from it. Futhermore, it helps to distribute the load of
replying to questions over multiple people. Also it is good to build
up an archive with email correspondence that is accessible to
everyone (see https://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html).

For people who feel that the number of mails on the list is too high,
I have two suggestions
1) you can use email filter rules in your email client (works in
Outlook, but also in most other email clients).
2) you can switch your subscription to the discussion list to "digest
mode".

With a "digest" subscription, you receive larger messages (called
"digests") at regular intervals, usually once per day or once per
week. These "digests" are collections of individual list postings.
Some lists are so active that they produce several digests per day.
Digests are a good compromise between reading everything as it is
posted and feeling like the list is clogging your mailbox with a
multitude of individual postings.

You can switch to digest mode on the listserv website, see https://
listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.cgi?SUBED1=fieldtrip&A=1

best regards,
Robert

PS note that I don't know at the moment how the digests are currently
configured on the FT discussion list, daily or even less frequent