generating data structure for all trials

Sameer Walawalkar sameer at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Thu Feb 8 18:59:06 CET 2007

Hello,

My basic question is:

Can definetrial be used in such a way as to create the data structure
without breaking the data up into trials? or Is there some other way to
generate the data structure with all its fields without breaking the data
up into trials?

What follows is a bit more information.

The first twenty independent components of my data acquired by using
EEGlab or fastICA  contain blinks, heart beats and other extraneous
signals which I can subtract. I can infact do all the preprocessing on my
data that Fieldtrip can do. The problem is in order to now use Fieldtrip
for further analysis (I want to eventually do DICS), I have to generate
the data structure with all its fields as fieldtrip likes it, and that
seems tedious.

Hence I want to stick with Fieldtrip all the way.

However, while using Fieldtrip, the first point where a MATLAB variable
containing data is created is during trial definition at
data = preprocessing(cfg); (from online tutorial)
Trial rejections, and independent component analysis is done after this.

Instead I would prefer to  use independent  component analysis first  to
remove blinks etc, then do channels and trial rejections, and then do the
trial definitions based on event types etc.

Central to this is having the structure data with all its  fields defined
before using componentanalysis.m.  Can definetrial be used in such a way
as to create the data structure without breaking the data up into trials?

Is there some other way to generate this structure without breaking the
data up into trials?

thanks,
sameer