[clean-list] Data intensive programming and Clean

Guillaume Yziquel guillaume.yziquel at citycable.ch
Thu Dec 15 12:47:52 MET 2011

Le Thursday 15 Dec 2011 à 09:57:44 (+0000), Groenouwe, C. a écrit :
>    I'm trying to find out:
>    - How, in general, functional programming languages perform on
>    data-intensive tasks (manipulation of large datasets, e.g.: doing some
>    statistical analysis on a table with 100.000 instances and 30 columns)
>    (regarding speed and memory usage)

A bit slower than C (OCaml), same as C (ATS), sometimes faster than C
(Stalin Scheme). All depends what you really want.

>    - Which functional language performs best?

Depends the tradeoff you want with the syntactic niceties of FP. If you
only care about performance, ATS seems nice.

>    A quick glance at the following benchmark, gave me the impression that
>    Clean and Caml seem to perform best with regard to memory consumption:
>    [1]http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
>    Is that true?
>    Additional question: which functional languages exploits (hardware)
>    parallelism running on a multi core CPU best? (Or more CPU's)?

Out of the box, I'd guess it'd be Haskell.

I do not know enough about Clean however...

--
     Guillaume Yziquel