[clean-list] Is Clean a dead language?

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Mar 18 00:38:35 MET 2009

On 18 Mar 2009, at 5:30 am, John van Groningen wrote:
> No. Unfortunately there is no 64 bit version of the Carbon API. To
> port
> Clean we would have to reimplement most of the Object IO library. This
> is too much work.
> So we would have to make a 32 bit version and/or a 64 bit command line
> only version.

A 32-bit native version would be better than a 32-bit emulated version.
A 64-bit command-line version would be better than no version.

> Our SPARC computers are running Solaris 2.9, so I can't do that yet.

The last version of Solaris 2.9 was back in 2005.
My machine is a Sun-Blade 100; last time I looked their value on
the used machine market was USD 50.  But it still works fine under
Solaris 2.10.

It's not clear to me whether the latest Sun compilers run
under 2.9 or not.  The sysadmins did the OS upgrade and the
compiler upgrade as one package.

If you were _interested_ in a build for Solaris 2.10,
it would be possible to give you an account on my machine.

We do have a T1 SPARC on campus that I could get an account
on if I asked nicely.

> All the binaries used by Clean that I looked at are dynamically
> linked,
> so I don't know what the problem is. Could you send me more
> information
> on this problem ?

I didn't say it's a problem for Clean,
I said it's an annoyance for me.  The annoyance is that the
profiling tools are still there, but don't quite work, because
there is no longer a statically linked libc.