[clean-list] Is Clean a dead language?

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Tue Mar 17 17:30:08 MET 2009

Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>Fine.  But I'm typing this on a Intel Core 2 Duo desktop Mac
>and have the use of a new MacBook Pro which is again a dual
>core Intel chip, not a PowerPC.  Is there an intel-Mac port
>of Clean 2.2 on the way?

No. Unfortunately there is no 64 bit version of the Carbon API. To port
Clean we would have to reimplement most of the Object IO library. This
is too much work.
So we would have to make a 32 bit version and/or a 64 bit command line
only version.

>I also use a SPARC running Solaris 2.10.  I see that the
>SPARC version of Clean 2.2 was built for 2.8.  There are
>some differences (in particular, 2.10 no longer supports
>static linking, which has been an annoyance for me).  So
>a recent SPARC build would be nice too.

Our SPARC computers are running Solaris 2.9, so I can't do that yet.
All the binaries used by Clean that I looked at are dynamically linked,
so I don't know what the problem is. Could you send me more information
on this problem ?

Kind regards,

John van Groningen