[clean-list] Re: Any scheduled release data for Clean 2.3?

rinus plasmeijer rinus at cs.ru.nl
Thu Nov 6 13:02:08 MET 2008

Hi Bejamin,

Very good question!

John van Groningen is working hard on the new version of the compiler.
The idea is that this new system will accept Haskell '98 source code and
that one can mix Haskell with Clean modules as well.
This is quite a big change in the (front end of) the compiler.
To be able to mix modules has lot's of consequences: In Haskell one can use
Clean stuf (like uniqueness typing) and in Clean one can use Haskell stuf
(eg Haskell records which are different from Clean records). Since one has
to be able to call one from another, there have to be denotations for each
feature in each language as well.
Also one has to be able to mix libraries (Clean's StdEnv and Haskell's
prelude).
Finally the IDE has to be adjusted to deal with the new situation.
Haskell's lack of a good module structure does not make life easy...

And John likes to make things reliable, but also fast...
We hope to achieve a compiler which compiles fast and produces excellent
code, also for the new features..
This takes time.

Before the end of the year we hope to have a beta-version which we can use
here internally.

Before we can release it externally we need to add documentation.
The list of added features will be long....

We have indeed made some bug fixes, but there are not that many.
So, we will not release a new compiler just for that.

greetings,

Rinus

news:jn92h4pna8uctrd2uoqk0pmdrn9b6tmpnv at 4ax.com...