[clean-list] Computer Language Shoot Out

metaperl metaperl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 22:57:07 MEST 2008

Diederik van Arkel-2 wrote:

> I know both John and myself have been playing with regex entries so one
> should be forthcoming.

Any further progress on this. It still shows not missing:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=clean&lang2=clean

Diederik van Arkel-2 wrote:

> The remaining two benchmarks relate to concurrency which is currently
> not supported in Clean.

Wow. Why is that? How long before it is added? One major issue is getting it
to work across platforms I suppose. Haskell uses monads to to concurrency.
Is the lack of monads the reason that it hasn't been done?

Diederik van Arkel-2 wrote:

> I hope you're enjoying your Clean experience, regards,

Yes, I like Clean quite a bit. I never quite mastered Haskell monads. And I
never liked how there seemed to be two divergent schools of abstraction in
haskell - monads and arrows.

I think the I/O facilities in Clean are much easier to work with. And the
Language Report is very thorough. Whenever I didnt understand a
function/operator, I just searched the report to figure it out.