[clean-list] Fwd: Building Clean 2.2 on PS3

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Tue Apr 22 16:33:17 MEST 2008

Michael Hogan wrote:
>I managed to get a "clean" build of the source in the
>"CodeGenerator" folder.  I'm sure that there are plenty of
>additional hurdles to getting even basic PPC output from the code
>generator, but I suppose that a clean compile is the first step.  I
>did find it necessary to stub out the initialize_toc function, but
>that seemed to be the only real hack.

Compiling a code generator that generates 32 bit PPC code should not be
that difficult, because an older version of Clean was available for
PPC linux:

http://clean.cs.ru.nl/download/Clean13/mklinux/Clean131.tar.gz

>One observation on the source code -- the conditional compile logic
>interprets -DPOWER as being synonomous with "compiling on a Mac with
>a PPC", which causes some confusion, and possibly causes some
>yet-to-be-identified errors in the pre-processing.

The first PPC platform that Clean was ported to was a Mac, and POWER was
defined for that platform. When the compiler was later ported to PPC linux,
the symbol G_POWER was added, for generating PowerPC code.

Clean has not been ported to any 64 bit PPC platform. Porting the current
version of Clean to a 32 bit PPC linux platform is probably not much
work.

Kind regards,

John van Groningen