[clean-list] Rebranding Clean

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 05:44:25 MET 2008

The problem with searches in foreign countries
requiring such phrases as "programming language" is
that people in those countries will not use those
phrases because those phrases are not part of their
natural language.

For example, in Japan, while people will search for
"Concurrent Clean" because it is a name, people will
not search for "programming language" because that
phrase is in English, and most people here do not
write English (even though they have no problem in
reading simple sentences in English).  They will never
search for "Clean" because that term brings up too
many false positives, and they usually do not know how
to use regular expressions (or the equivalent).

It is still possible for them to search for
"プログラミング言語" ("puroguraminngu gengo")
in katakana and Kanji, because they write Japanese,
but they will not usually do so because they also want
English documents to read (they can usually read some
English, even though they do not write English).

So, they will still count and compare the total number
of hits worldwide for a Google search for a
programming language using a keyword search that does
not include non-name English words or phrases or
regular expressions or their equivalents, and use this
information as data in choosing which language to use:

Google search results:

"Concurrent Clean":
36,600

"Clean" +プログラミング言語 [Japanese term
for "programming language"]:
34,600

("Clean" +プログラミング言語) OR "Concurrent
Clean":
47,400

Some significant computer languages (including
Concurrent Clean itself, and Ruby) have been created
in foreign countries; this is a significant market
that should not be ignored.

Benjamin L. Russell

=== message truncated ===>