[clean-list] Compiler dies with "Run time error"

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Tue Aug 7 15:25:37 MEST 2007

vag wrote:

>Please advice it is normal for compiler to die with dreadful black messages?

No, this is not supposed to happen. Thanks for reporting these bugs,

> I got two cases (I know that this proggies are nasty and errorneous, but anyway):
>// (Clean version is 2.2, Windows, default project/module options)

Fortunately we had already discovered and fixed both bugs. The compiler
now generates a normal error message.

>module solver
>
>import StdEnv
>
>A :== fromInt 0
>
>f1 b = case b of
>           A -> 1
>
>Start = 42
>
>/*
>   "Unable to run compiler"
>   Compiler dies with message "Run time error, rule 'unfold_application;131' in module 'checkFunctionBodies' does not match"
>*/

This macro is not allowed in a pattern.

>module Failure
>
>// This line makes things happy:
>// from _SystemArray import class Array (..), instance Array {} a
>
>// This line gives "Unable to run compiler" error, compiler gives up with message "*** E *** Error in requirements"
>from _SystemArray import class Array
>
>a :: {Int}
>a = { 0 }
>
>Start = 42

It is not sufficient to just import the class Array. Unfortunately the compiler
only checks if _SystemArray is imported, but does not take into account that
the module can be partially imported. This has been fixed.

A similar bug occurs if comprehensions or .. expressions are used and
StdEnum is partially imported. This has also been fixed.

Kind regards,

John van Groningen