[clean-list] output of startIO

Peter Achten P.Achten at cs.ru.nl
Tue Dec 12 17:52:44 MET 2006

Dear Erik,

This is right. The point is that in the 0.8 I/O library you basically
had just a single interactive process (with nested interactive
processes). If you have a single process, then it is no problem to
define what its final state is. Object I/O, on the other hand, supports
an arbitrary number of arbitrarily dependent interactive processes. If
each interactive process creation function would return the final state
of the created process, then you can define an interactive process that
decides to create a child process, and then tries to evaluate the result
state value of its child. Consequently, it blocks until its child
terminates. This is not what an interactive process should do: each
state transition should terminate timely. In addition, Object I/O
supports message passing between interactive processes, hence it is
always possible to set up communication between a parent and its
children processes. At the root this is indeed not possible, hence you
need to resort to something like writing the final state to file or
something, using either overloaded printing, generic printing, or dynamics.

With kind regards,
Peter Achten