[clean-list] Computer Language Shoot Out

Diederik van Arkel dvanarkel at mac.com
Sat Mar 18 21:55:59 MET 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 7:34 PM, Philippos Apolinarius wrote:

> Hi, people.
> First things first. I am not a programmer, and do not know much about
> Computer Science. I am just a highschooler. The only language that I
> learned is Clean, because my father thinks that it helps me at School,
> since it is very close to math notation. I use it to plot math
> functions, and the like.
>
> Since Clean is the only language I know,  I would like it to be more
> popular. I checked the site Computer Language Shoot out and noticed
> that Clean performs pretty well. If I remove all tests with missing
> code or in error,  Clean comes close to be the fastest language. But
> Clean miss seven tests, and ends up in tenth. You people should fix
> the wrong programs and code the missing tests.  John van Groningen
> wrote one of the programs in error. Hi, John, what about fixing your
> code? Diederik van Arkel contribute with another code piece that ended
> in error. Can you fix it, Diederik? The code for chameneos, cheap
> concurrency,  and regex dna is missing. I hope that someone finds the
> time necessary to complete the list.
> That's about all.

Hi Philippos,

if you care to check the timing results for the Gentoo/Pentium 4
combination on the same site
you will see that the same tests succesfully completed there so it
appears to be a problem with
Brent's setup rather than with the entries themselves (Clean is ranked
2nd there today behind
gcc). You can try if reporting the problems on the Shootout forums will
get Brent to resolve
them on his system.

I know both John and myself have been playing with regex entries so one
should be forthcoming.
The remaining two benchmarks relate to concurrency which is currently
not supported in Clean.

I hope you're enjoying your Clean experience, regards,

Diederik van Arkel