[clean-list] Licenses

Arnout Engelen arnouten at bzzt.net
Tue Jan 10 15:12:43 MET 2006

Pieter Koopman wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
>  04-01-2006, Alex Goldman wrote:
>
>> Could you clarify what restrictions are imposed by the licenses of
>> Clean and its libraries? I understand LGPL, but the devil is in the
>> details: Is a runtime system required by the produced executables?
>> Can it be linked against dynamically? What about other libraries and
>> their different versions?
>

> The produced executables do include a statically linked runtime
> system. The runtime system initiates the program (...) Does this
> answer your questions?

I think what Alex is referring to is the widely held belief that the
LGPL is 'viral' with respect to statically linking, but not dynamically
linking. In other words, it is fine to have a proprietary application
dynamically linking to an LGPL'ed work, but statically linking (for
example to the Clean runtime) might be problematic. As far as I know
this isn't legally entirely clear yet.

Kind regards,

Arnout